Clinical Competency Assessment
The Clinical Competency Assessment is the major clinical assessment of the Fellowship Training Program.
It comprises two parts:
- A Portfolio Review assessing your three most recent end-of-rotation In-Training Assessments (ITAs), one of which must be a Stage 3 ITA (6 months FTE).
- If you do not demonstrate the required standard in the Portfolio Review, you will proceed to a Case-based Discussion, which is a 45-minute clinical assessment held via Zoom.
- Applications open – Monday 4 September 2023 at 9 am (AEST)
- Applications close – Friday 15 September 2023 at 5 pm (AEST)
How to apply
Application forms will be available on Intrain during the application period. For further information about the application process in InTrain, please click on the ‘Need help?’ tab to view instructions on how to submit a CCA application.
You may apply if you meet the following criteria:
- Completed at least one Stage 3 rotation of 6 months FTE duration and have at least one Stage 3 end-of-rotation ITA (6 months FTE) recorded at the College.
- The three most recent end-of-rotation ITAs will be considered.
- A SIMG Portfolio Review will involve the three most recent ITAs, however, where three ITAs are not available, two most recent end-of-rotation ITAs may be considered for review. SIMG candidates must be enrolled on the partial comparability pathway.
- Candidates applying for further rounds of CCA (for example, following an unsuccessful attempt at the CCA or Alternative Assessment Pathway (AAP) require a new end-of-rotation ITA to be eligible to enrol into the new CCA cycle. This ITA would need to be a Stage 3 ITA of a minimum of six (6) months duration.
- Candidates must have current medical registration at the time of the application. In addition, SIMG candidates must have current comparability status at the time of the application closing date to be eligible to apply. The comparability status must cover the examination period including the time required for the scheduled result release date.
For September 2023 candidates
- Trainee end-of-rotation ITAs from Rotation 1, 2023 will be considered for the Portfolio Review as one of the three ITAs required.
- For SIMG candidates end of rotation ITAs ending by 6 August 2023 will be considered.
- ITAs must be submitted to the College in a timely manner so that duly completed ITAs can be accurately recorded in InTrain. Your application status remains ‘Pending’ until all relevant ITAs are completed in InTrain.
- Check your InTrain account regularly to view the progress of your application and any notifications from the College.
- After the applications have been reviewed and if the eligibility criteria have been met, the candidates will receive a notification via InTrain and are expected to pay their fees as soon as they are notified about the approval of their application.
An application fee of $730 must be paid to complete your application.
This fee covers the entire assessment, regardless of whether you proceed to complete a Case-based Discussion.
Structure and format
All candidates will undergo a Portfolio Review that assesses overall perfomance in the 3 most recent end-of-rotation ITAs.
If you do not demonstrate the required standard in the Portfolio Review, you will proceed to a Case-based Discussion, which is a 45-minute clinical assessment held via Zoom.
Frequently asked questions
Applications for special consideration will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must be submitted in writing email@example.com
Policy and Procedure on Special Consideration [PDF; 120 KB]
If an incident occurred during your Case-based Discussion that could have affected your performance or the outcome of the assessment, please complete an Incident Report form within 5 working days of taking the assessment.
You will be notified by email when your result is finalised.
Targeted Learning and Training Review
You will not be required to undertake Targeted Learning and/or Training Review if you withdraw midway or are unsuccessful in the CCA.