Certificate of Advanced Training in Psychiatry of Old Age
Overview of the Certificate
When you specialise in psychiatry of old age you will:
- gain clinical work experience in psychiatry training posts
- complete a formal teaching program.
Duration, study and training load
It takes at least 24 months to complete this certificate. You have up to 6 years to complete all of the requirements.
During this time, you will complete:
- 24 months of full-time equivalent training in psychiatry of old age training posts
- eight EPAs, 2 per 6-month rotation
- regular workplace-based assessments
- Scholarly Project or equivalent
- case summaries
- study requirements based on your formal or self-directed learning.
Clinical work experience
Your training rotations must include both:
- 6 months FTE in a community setting
- 6 months FTE in an inpatient setting
Subject to approval, you may spend up to 6 months of FTE training in geriatric medicine or research.
You must complete a recognised psychiatry of old age teaching program. If an approved local program is available, it must be attended and included as part of the learning plan. If not, you must compensate by taking on other self-directed learning activities.
Curriculum [PDF; 155 KB]
Assessments and requirements
You complete a range of assessments including EPAs, case summaries and psychotherapy experience. See the full list of assessments and requirements.