About the Specialist Training Program in psychiatry
What is the STP?
The Specialist Training Program (STP) is an Australian Government initiative that provides funding to health organisations to support specialist medical training experiences in settings beyond traditional public teaching hospitals.
Such settings might include:
- private hospitals
- specialists' rooms
- clinics and day surgeries
- Aboriginal community-controlled health services
- publicly funded health-care facilities that can provide training opportunities not available in major public teaching hospitals (such as regional, rural and community health settings)
- non-clinical settings (such as simulated learning environments).
The program aims to:
- increase the number of training opportunities for specialists in training
- supplement the specialist workforce in outer metropolitan, rural and remote locations
- better reflect demand and the way health services are delivered.
►Information about the STP [at the Department of Health website]
Roles of the RANZCP and Department of Health
The program is administered by the Department of Health, and the Department provides the funding via the RANZCP. All psychiatry training opportunities offered under the STP must meet the standards set by the RANZCP and be considered by the College to deliver educational value. The College also establishes training arrangements for trainees that better link training to areas not available in major public hospitals.
Funding for STP posts
The STP provides organisations with a salary contribution of $100,000 (ex. GST) per FTE post per year. Posts in rural locations may also be provided with rural loadings of up to $20,000 (ex. GST) per FTE per year.
►Who is eligible?
►Applying for STP funding
►STP post directory (currently funded STP posts) [member log-in required]
Working in an STP post
STP-funded posts are open to current RANZCP trainees and specialist international medical graduates on the pathway to Fellowship.
Current STP-funded positions are listed in the RANZCP's STP post directory [member log-in required]. However, when STP-funded positions are vacant, they are, in general, advertised by the organisation through their usual recruitment channels.
►More information for trainees
RANZCP STP Team
309 La Trobe Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
+61 (0)3 9601 4929
►Return to the main STP page