Military and Veteran Psychiatry Training Program
The MVPTP is a Department of Veterans’ Affairs initiative that provides funding to health organisations to support specialist medical training experiences in facilities who predominantly work with military and veteran person personnel, are based within an area with high defence personnel presence and/or DVA service providers.
The program is governed through the Guidelines for Health Services.
Funding for MVPTP posts
Funding through the MVPTP will be available for three RANZCP training years (2022 to 2024).
For 2022 the MVPTP provides organisations with funding of a salary contribution of $106,890 (ex. GST) per FTE post per training year.
MVPTP posts in regional, rural and remote areas of Australia may be eligible for an annual loading of $10,363.24 to $25,908.10 (ex. GST) per annum pro rata, subject to total funds allocated.
This loading is provided by the Commonwealth and managed by the RANZCP and assists with additional costs associated with having an MVPTP training position in regional and remote settings.
Applicants who are successful in their application for MVPTP funding will have their eligibility for the Rural Loading allowance determined at the time of application.
Rural Loading Guidelines are available to assist post providers on eligibility, use of funding and payment.
Private Sector Loading
MVPTP posts in private settings may be eligible for funds to cover infrastructure and clinical supervision.
A private sector loading of $12,954.05 to $31,089.72 (GST exclusive) pro rata, per full time equivalent (FTE) is available where a post has a location in a private setting, subject to total funds allocated..
Applicants who are successful in their application for MVPTP funding will have their eligibility for the Private Sector Loading determined at the time of application.
Private Sector Loading Guidelines are available to assist post providers on eligibility, use of funding and payment.
MVPTP Progress Report
Rotation 1 Progress Reports close on 20 August with Rotation 2 Reports closing on 20 February of each respective training year.
Reports are available through our online portal with access provided to a nominated user for each health service.
Communications regarding reporting will be undertaken directly with the nominated user.
Please note that:
- a report is to be submitted even if a post has been or will be vacant
- information regarding the locations a trainee has delivered services or undertaken training must be included
- reports and invoices must be completed prior to the closing date of each rotation i.e. 20 August / 20 February, respectively
- payment terms are 30 days (subject to full completion of reporting requirements). Incomplete information will delay payment
- until we have received all outstanding reports and invoices you will be unable to claim for the next funding instalment.
MVPTP posts are only open to current RANZCP trainees and Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMGs) on the pathway to RANZCP Fellowship.
- RANZCP Military and Veterans’ Health Network
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Centenary of Anzac Centre
- Australian Military Medicine Association
RANZCP STP Team
309 La Trobe Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
+61 (0)3 9601 4929