Program guide & requirements
The RANZCP Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program provides opportunities for professional learning, a platform to record your progress and guidance to help you meet requirements set out by medical regulators.
The program is flexible, with multiple ways to meet requirements, emphasises self-directed education and focuses on practice improvement.
Meeting CPD requirements
Participants need to complete a minimum of 50 hours annually, including
|Section 1: Professional Development Plan||2 hours|
|Section 2: Formal Peer Review|
Minimum 10 hours
|23 hours in total across these two sections|
|Section 3: Practice Improvement||Minimum 5 hours|
|Section 4: Self-guided learning||12.5 hours|
|Section 5: Additional hours||12.5 hours|
- CPD requirements for medical practitioners in Australia. The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Obligations on medical practitioners [Medical Board of Australia]
- Continuing professional development registration standard [Medical Board of Australia]
- Information for participants of declared quality assurance activities [Australian Government Department of Health and Aging website]
Aotearoa New Zealand standards
- The Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) sets the CPD requirements for medical practitioners in New Zealand.
- Maintain registration [Medical Council of New Zealand]
- Recertification and professional development [Medical Council of New Zealan ]
- Protected Quality Assurance Activities under the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003 [NZ Ministry of Health]