Psychiatry Interest Forum
Information and events for medical students and doctors interested in psychiatry and mental health
Specialise in the mind
Have an interest in mental health and psychiatry? Join the RANZCP’s Psychiatry Interest Forum (PIF) and stay in the loop with the College’s activities and opportunities. As a member of the PIF you will receive a range of free benefits including:
- invitations to educational events, including lectures, workshops and conferences;
- career guidance in psychiatry and its subspecialties through seminars and networking with RANZCP Fellows and trainees;
- invitations to participate in RANZCP awards, prizes and grants around promotion, research or advocacy in mental health;
- access to RANZCP e-learning resources;
- e-newsletters to keep up to date with RANZCP activities.
Who can join?
To join the PIF, you must:
- be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate medical course approved by an Australian or New Zealand medical school accredited by the Australian Medical Council or Medical Council of New Zealand, or
- be registered as a medical practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency or the Medical Council of New Zealand.
- not be, or have previously been, a RANZCP Fellow, trainee, non-RANZCP psychiatrist or an international medical graduate on the pathway to RANZCP Fellowship.
News and opportunities for PIF members
Congratulations to Benjamin Tassie for winning the 2018 PIF Essay Competition, and Christopher Lemon and Samuel Tan for being awarded second and third place respectively. The top three winners received prize money of $1000, $500 and $250 respectively, with the winning essay to be published in Australasian Psychiatry.
Read the essays and view previous winners
Keep an eye out for the 2019 PIF Essay Competition announcement later this year.
PIF members can apply for a range of opportunities to help them learn more about mental health and psychiatry.
See a list of opportunities currently available to PIF members
Resources for PIF members
Specialise in the mind infographic [PDF, 165 KB]
Psychiatry subspecialties booklet [PDF, 212 KB]
Eight ways to make the most of your psychiatry rotation [PDF, 198 KB]
The RANZCP training program pathway [PDF, 400 KB]
Insights into psychiatry - presentations from the Melbourne short course
Hard copies of written resources are available. Please contact us to find out more.
You can direct any questions about the PIF to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free on 1800 337 448 (from Australia) or 0800 443 827 (from New Zealand).
More information on psychiatry for medical students and prevocational doctors can be found on the RANZCP's dedicated web pages.
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists has received Australian Government funding under the Specialist Training Program.