Psychiatry Interest Forum
Information and events for medical students and doctors interested in psychiatry and mental health.
Specialise in the mind
Have an interest in mental health and psychiatry? Join the RANZCP’s Psychiatry Interest Forum (PIF) and stay in the loop with the College’s activities and opportunities. As a member of the PIF you will receive a range of free benefits including:
- invitations to educational events, including lectures, workshops and conferences;
- career guidance in psychiatry and its subspecialties through seminars and networking with RANZCP Fellows and trainees;
- invitations to participate in RANZCP awards, prizes and grants around promotion, research or advocacy in mental health;
- access to RANZCP e-learning resources;
- e-newsletters to keep up to date with RANZCP activities.
Who can join?
To join the PIF, you must:
- be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate medical course approved by an Australian or New Zealand medical school accredited by the Australian Medical Council or Medical Council of New Zealand, or
- be registered as a medical practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency or the Medical Council of New Zealand.
- not be, or have previously been, a RANZCP Fellow, trainee, non-RANZCP psychiatrist or an international medical graduate on the pathway to RANZCP Fellowship.
Opportunities for PIF members
PIF members can apply for a range of opportunities to help them learn more about mental health and psychiatry.
See a list of opportunities currently available to PIF members
PIF Essay Competition
Held annually, the PIF Essay Competition allows eligible PIF members to explore and discuss a specified topic on psychiatry and/or mental health through a written essay.
The 2020 PIF Essay Competition for prevocational doctors is now open!
Learn more about the Essay Competition, where you could have the chance to win A$1,000 and have your essay published in Australasian Psychiatry.
Read the winning essays
Learn about psychiatry
How to become a psychiatrist in Australia and New Zealand
What a psychiatrist does
The difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist
NZMSJ article (Apr 2020): Choosing a career in psychiatry - expect the unexpected [PDF, 98 KB]
Joining the RANZCP Fellowship Program
Overview of the RANZCP Fellowship Program
How to apply, selection criteria and pre-requisites
The RANZCP Fellowship Program pathway [PDF, 400 KB]
PIF video resources
Facebook Q&A: Psychiatry training and careers (May 2020) *Facebook account required
AMA Victoria Careers Expo recording (Apr 2020)
Sydney short course recordings (Oct 2019)
Facebook Q&A: RANZCP Training program (July 2019) *Facebook account required
PIF webinar (Dec 2018)
Melbourne short course recordings (Oct 2018)
Brisbane short course recordings (Aug 2018) *College login required
Insights into psychiatry (Melb 2016 short course)
PIF print resources
Specialise in the mind infographic [PDF, 165 KB]
Psychiatry subspecialties booklet [PDF, 212 KB]
Eight ways to make the most of your psychiatry rotation [PDF, 198 KB]
Hard copies of written resources are available. Please contact us to find out more.
You can direct any questions about the PIF to email@example.com or call us toll-free on 1800 337 448 (from Australia) or 0800 443 827 (from New Zealand).
Problems logging in?
Use the 'Forgot User ID' or 'Forgot Password' instructions. Your RANZCP User ID is your PIF ID number. If you continue to have problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists has received Australian Government funding under the Specialist Training Program.