Psychiatry Interest Forum
Information and events for medical students and doctors interested in psychiatry and mental health
Specialise in the mind
Have an interest in mental health and psychiatry? Join the RANZCP’s Psychiatry Interest Forum (PIF) and stay in the loop with the College’s activities and opportunities. As a member of the PIF you will receive a range of free benefits including:
- invitations to educational events, including lectures, workshops and conferences;
- career guidance in psychiatry and its subspecialties through seminars and networking with RANZCP Fellows and trainees;
- invitations to participate in RANZCP awards, prizes and grants around promotion, research or advocacy in mental health;
- access to RANZCP e-learning resources;
- e-newsletters to keep up to date with RANZCP activities.
Who can join?
To join the PIF, you must:
- be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate medical course approved by an Australian or New Zealand medical school accredited by the Australian Medical Council or Medical Council of New Zealand, or
- be registered as a medical practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency or the Medical Council of New Zealand.
- not be, or have previously been, a RANZCP Fellow, trainee, non-RANZCP psychiatrist or an international medical graduate on the pathway to RANZCP Fellowship.
Opportunities for PIF members
PIF members can apply for a range of opportunities to help them learn more about mental health and psychiatry.
See a list of opportunities currently available to PIF members
PIF Essay Competition
The PIF Essay Competition runs annually and is open to medical students, junior doctors, and other medical practitioners in Australia and New Zealand. Stay tuned for announcements on the 2019 competition topic and dates.
Read about the 2018 competition and winners and access all past winning essays
RANZCP Training program Facebook Q&A (July 2019) *must have a Facebook account to access
PIF webinar (Dec 2018)
Melbourne short course recording (Oct 2018)
Brisbane short course recording (Aug 2018)
Insights into psychiatry (Melb 2016 short course)
Specialise in the mind infographic [PDF, 165 KB]
Psychiatry subspecialties booklet [PDF, 212 KB]
Eight ways to make the most of your psychiatry rotation [PDF, 198 KB]
The RANZCP training program pathway [PDF, 400 KB]
Hard copies of written resources are available. Please contact us to find out more.
You can direct any questions about the PIF to email@example.com or call us toll-free on 1800 337 448 (from Australia) or 0800 443 827 (from New Zealand).
More information on psychiatry for medical students and prevocational doctors can be found on the RANZCP's dedicated web pages.
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists has received Australian Government funding under the Specialist Training Program.