Ongoing CPD requirements for rTMS
20 Feb 2023
When claiming the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) items for rTMS services, it is the responsibility of the individual psychiatrist to ensure that they have either:
- Met the ‘grandparenting’ criteria for rTMS training or
- Completed an accredited training course by the RANZCP (as of 1 May 2022)
Psychiatrists will also need to ensure they meet the following ongoing CPD requirements for rTMS:
- a reference to rTMS in their Professional Development Plan
- a minimum of 10 hours of CPD activities completed annually relating to rTMS. These hours can be allocated across any of the following CPD sections:
- Section 2: Formal Peer Activities (e.g., participation in a rTMS Peer Review group)
- Section 3: Practice Improvement Activities (e.g., audit of a rTMS practice or service)
- Section 4: Self-Guided Learning Activities (e.g., attending rTMS workshops, neurostimulation conferences, reading journal articles)
In the event of an audit by Medicare and/or AHPRA, the individual psychiatrist will need to provide evidence that they have met ongoing CPD requirements (relating to TMS) in addition to the criteria for practitioners to claim MBS items for rTMS.
More news & views
The RANZCP exhibition booth at the Australian Indigenous Doctors’ Association (AIDA) Conference 2023...
Dr Sandy Jusuf, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist in New South Wales.
Our response opposes the removal of telehealth for initial patient consultations and calls for the r...