Clinical Competency Assessment
The Clinical Competency Assessment is the major clinical assessment of the Fellowship Training Program, one of which must be a Stage 3 ITA (6 months FTE).
It comprises two parts:
- A Portfolio Review assessing your three most recent end-of-rotation In-Training Assessments (ITAs), one of which must be a Stage 3 ITA (6 months FTE).
- If you do not demonstrate the required standard in the Portfolio Review, you will proceed to a Case-based Discussion, which is a 45-minute clinical assessment held via Zoom.
March 2023 CCA
- Applications open – Monday 13 March 2023 at 9 am (AEDT)
- Applications close – Friday 24 March 2023 at 11.59 pm (AEDT)
September 2023 CCA
- Applications open – Monday 4 September 2023 at 9 am (AEST)
- Applications close – Friday 15 September 2023 at 11.59 pm (AEST)
No applications will be accepted after the closing date.
How to apply
►Apply online via InTrain
Check your InTrain account regularly to view the progress of your application and any notifications from the College.
Applications open on Monday 13 March 2023 for the March CCA. Candidates can apply for March 2023 CCA via the "Forms" tab on InTrain.
Applications close on Friday 24 March 2023 at 11:59 PM AEDT.
NO LATE APPLICATIONS CAN BE ACCEPTED.
You may apply if you meet the following criteria:
- Completed at least one Stage 3 rotation of 6 months FTE duration and have at least one Stage 3 end-of-rotation ITA (6 months FTE) recorded at the College.
- The three most recent end-of-rotation ITAs will be considered.
- A SIMG Portfolio Review will involve the three most recent ITAs, however, where three ITAs are not available, two most recent end-of-rotation ITAs may be considered for review. SIMG candidates must be enrolled on the partial comparability pathway.
- Trainees must have completed any required Targeted Learning commencement documentation.
- Candidates applying for further rounds of CCA (for example, following an unsuccessful attempt at the CCA or Alternative Assessment Pathway (AAP) require a new end-of-rotation ITA to be eligible to enrol into the new CCA cycle. This ITA would need to be a Stage 3 ITA of a minimum of six (6) months duration.
- Candidates must have current medical registration at the time of the application and SIMG candidates must have current comparability status.
For March 2023 candidates
- Trainee end-of-rotation ITAs from Rotation 2, 2022 will be considered for the Portfolio Review as one of the three ITAs required.
- For SIMG candidates end of rotation ITAs ending by 5 February 2023 will be considered.
For September 2023 candidates
- Trainee end-of-rotation ITAs from Rotation 1, 2023 will be considered for the Portfolio Review as one of the three ITAs required.
- For SIMG candidates end of rotation ITAs ending by 6 August 2023 will be considered.
An application fee of $730 must be paid to complete your application.
This fee covers the entire assessment, regardless of whether you proceed to complete a Case-based Discussion.
Structure and format
All candidates will undergo a Portfolio Review that assesses overall perfomance in the 3 most recent end-of-rotation ITAs.
►See detailed requirements for Portfolio Review
If you do not demonstrate the required standard in the Portfolio Review, you will proceed to a Case-based Discussion, which is a 45-minute clinical assessment held via Zoom.
►Documents, rules and advice for the Case-based discussion
Frequently asked questions
►Answers to frequently asked questions about this assessment
Applications for special consideration will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must be submitted in writing firstname.lastname@example.org
►Policy and Procedure on Special Consideration [PDF; 120 KB]
If an incident occurred during your Case-based Discussion that could have affected your performance or the outcome of the exam, please complete an Incident Report form within 5 working days of taking the exam.
You will be notified by email when your result is finalised.
Have you found the information you were looking for?