1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). Fifth ed: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2013.
2. World Health Organisation. International Classification of Diseases 11th Revision (ICD-11). 2020.
3. Smith E, Jones T, Ward R, Dixon J, Mitchell A, Hillier L. From Blues to Rainbows: The mental health and wellbeing of gender diverse and transgender young people in Australia. Melbourne: Australian Research Centre in Sex Health and Society; 2014.
4. Australian Human Rights Commission. Resilient Individuals: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Rights: National Consultation Report2015. Available from: https://humanrights.gov.au/sites/default/files/document/publication/SOGII%20Rights%20Report%202015_Web_Version.pdf.
5. Henrickson M. Ko wai ratou? Managing multiple identities in lesbian, gay and bisexual New Zealand Maori. New Zealand Sociology. 2006;21(2):247.
6. Gender Minorities Aotearoa. Trans 101: Glossary of trans words and how to use them 2020 [Available from: https://genderminorities.com/database/glossary-transgender/.
7. Schmidt J. 'Gender diversity - Fa'afafine', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 2015 [Available from: https://teara.govt.nz/en/gender-diversity/page-3.
8. Eden K, Wylie K, Watson E. Gender dysphoria: Recognition and assessment. Advances in psychiatric treatment. 2012;18(1):2-11.
9. Reed GM, Drescher J, Krueger RB, Atalla E, Cochran SD, First MB, et al. Disorders related to sexuality and gender identity in the ICD‐11: revising the ICD‐10 classification based on current scientific evidence, best clinical practices, and human rights considerations. World Psychiatry. 2016;15(3):205-21.
10. Dhejne C, Lichtenstein P, Boman M, Johansson AL, Långström N, Landén M. Long-term follow-up of transsexual persons undergoing sex reassignment surgery: cohort study in Sweden. PloS one. 2011;6(2):e16885.
11. Reisner SL, Vetters R, Leclerc M, Zaslow S, Wolfrum S, Shumer D, et al. Mental health of transgender youth in care at an adolescent urban community health center: a matched retrospective cohort study. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2015;56(3):274-9.
12. Mahfouda S, Moore JK, Siafarikas A, Hewitt T, Ganti U, Lin A, et al. Gender-affirming hormones and surgery in transgender children and adolescents. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. 2019;7(6):484-98.
13. Wiepjes CM, Nota NM, de Blok CJ, Klaver M, de Vries AL, Wensing-Kruger SA, et al. The Amsterdam cohort of gender dysphoria study (1972–2015): trends in prevalence, treatment, and regrets. The journal of sexual medicine. 2018;15(4):582-90.
14. Strang JF, Meagher H, Kenworthy L, de Vries ALC, Menvielle E, Leibowitz S, et al. Initial Clinical Guidelines for Co-Occurring Autism Spectrum Disorder and Gender Dysphoria or Incongruence in Adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology. 2018;47(1):105-15.
15. Kaltiala R, Bergman H, Carmichael P, de Graaf NM, Egebjerg Rischel K, Frisén L, et al. Time trends in referrals to child and adolescent gender identity services: a study in four Nordic countries and in the UK. Nord J Psychiatry. 2020;74(1):40-4.
16. Levine S, Brown G, Coleman E, Cohen-Kettenis P, Hage JJ, Maasdam J, et al. The HBIGDA standards of care for gender identity disorders. Journal of Psychology & Human Sexuality. 1999;11.
17. Bockting W, Knudson G, Goldberg J. Counseling and Mental Health Care for Transgender Adults and Loved Ones. International Journal of Transgenderism. 2006;9:35-82.
18. Kozlowska K, McClure G, Chudleigh C, Maguire AM, Gessler D, Scher S, et al. Australian children and adolescents with gender dysphoria: Clinical presentations and challenges experienced by a multidisciplinary team and gender service. Human Systems. 2021;1(1):70-95.
19. Oliphant J, Veale J, Macdonald J, Carroll R, Johnson R, Harte M, et al. Guidelines for Gender Affirming Healthcare for Gender Diverse and Transgender Children, Young People and Adults in Aotearoa, New Zealand. The New Zealand medical journal. 2018;131:86-96.
20. Royal College of Psychiatrists. Good practice guidelines for the assessment and treatment of adults with gender dysphoria2013. Available from: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/docs/default-source/improving-care/better-mh-policy/college-reports/cr181-good-practice-guidelines-for-the-assessment-and-treatment-of-adults-with-gender-dysphoria.pdf.
21. Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. Supporting LGBTQ+ children and young people - principle statement 2020 [Available from: https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/supporting-lgbtq-children-young-people#role-and-responsibilities-of-health-professionals.
22. Telfer M, Tollit M, Pace C, Pang K. Australian Standards of Care and Treatment Guidelines for Trans and Gender Diverse Children and Adolescents Version 1.3. Melbourne: The Royal Children's Hospital; 2020.
23. Hembree WC, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Gooren L, Hannema SE, Meyer WJ, Murad MH, et al. Endocrine treatment of gender-dysphoric/gender-incongruent persons: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2017;102(11):3869-903.
24. World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Standards of Care for the Health of Transexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People 2011 [Available from: https://www.wpath.org/media/cms/Documents/SOC%20v7/SOC%20V7_English.pdf.
25. Bhugra D, Eckstrand K, Levounis P, Kar A, Javate KR. WPA Position Statement on Gender Identity and Same-Sex Orientation, Attraction and Behaviours. World psychiatry : official journal of the World Psychiatric Association (WPA). 2016;15(3):299-300.
26. American Psychiatric Association. Position Statement on Access to Care for Transgender and Gender Diverse Individuals. 2018.
27. Dahlen S, Connolly D, Arif I, Junejo MH, Bewley S, Meads C. International clinical practice guidelines for gender minority/trans people: systematic review and quality assessment. BMJ Open. 2021;11(4):e048943.
28. Olson KR, Durwood L, DeMeules M, McLaughlin KA. Mental health of transgender children who are supported in their identities. Pediatrics. 2016;137(3).
29. Hidalgo M, Ehrensaft D, Tishelman A, et al. The gender affirmative model: what we know and what we aim to learn. Hum Dev 2013; 56(5): 285–290.
30. Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. Code of Ethics 2018 [Available from: https://www.ranzcp.org/files/about_us/code-of-ethics.aspx.
31. Bell-v-Tavistock Judgment, (2020).
32. Telethon Kids Institute. GENTLE: The GENder identiTy Longitudinal Experience 2021 [Available from: https://www.telethonkids.org.au/projects/gentle-the-gender-identity-longitudinal-experience/.
33. Tollit MA, Pace CC, Telfer M, Hoq M, Bryson J, Fulkoski N, et al. What are the health outcomes of trans and gender diverse young people in Australia? Study protocol for the Trans20 longitudinal cohort study. BMJ open. 2019;9(11).
34. NICE. Evidence review: Gender-affirming hormones for children and adolescents with gender dysphoria England: NICE; 2020 [Available from: https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/document?id=2334889&returnUrl=search%3Fq%3Dgender%2Bdysphoria.
35. Evidence review: Gonadotrophin releasing hormone analogues for children and adolescents with gender dysphoria: NICE; 2021 [updated 11 March 2021. Available from: https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/document?id=2334888&returnUrl=search%3Fq%3Dtransgender%26s%3DDate.