Schizophrenia CPG and associated resources
Guidance addressing all aspects of the care of people with schizophrenia and related disorders. Includes correct diagnosis, symptom relief and recovery of social function.
Access further guidance related to the treatment of schizophrenia in the following documents developed by the College:
Key practice points
The guidelines advise a clinical staging approach and deliver specific recommendations for:
- comprehensive treatment using second generation antipsychotic agents continuously for 2-5 years
- early treatment of comorbid substance use
- community treatment after initial contact, during crises and after discharge from hospital
- physical health monitoring and management of comorbidities, particularly metabolic health
- interventions to optimise recovery of social function
- management of schizophrenia in specific populations and circumstances.
Early psychosis resources
- Australian Clinical Guidelines for Early Psychosis, 2nd Ed. updated (2016) [PDF; 1.09 MB]
- Algorithm: Pharmacological Treatment for First Episode Non-affective Psychosis (2014)
The following webinars provide information about the guideline and are accredited for CPD under section 4.6. [RANZCP member log-in required].