Selection of trainees
This page is a summary of the selection procedures for the RANZCP Fellowship Program.
Applicants are selected for psychiatry training based on their suitability, skills and experience to ensure:
- that they are capable of providing psychiatric care to the standard expected by people with mental health problems and mental illness in Australia and New Zealand
- they are potentially capable of completing the Fellowship program within the time allowed.
Prerequisites for applying to enter the Fellowship Program are:
- successful completion of a medical degree
- at least one year (FTE) of general medical training
- current registration as a medical practitioner in Australia or New Zealand (applicants who have or have had special conditions, limitations, notations, undertakings or provisional requirements imposed on their registration must provide full disclosure of the nature of these to the Committee for Training with their application).
To enter psychiatry training, applicants must:
- be selected to enter the College's Fellowship Program by a local/Branch Training Committee
- be appointed to a College-accredited training post
- have submitted a signed Application to Register to the College Head Office (separate from the application form submitted to the local/Branch Training Committee or delegated body)
- have submitted a signed Training Agreement to the College Head Office
- have paid the prescribed fees by the specified due dates.
Trainees who do not pay their fees by the specified dates will not be established as a trainee and may need to re-apply to the Fellowship Program.
The fee schedule is available.
Selection to RANZCP Fellowship Program
The selection process is managed by local Branch Training Committees. Contact your local Branch Training Committee for information on how to apply.
Applicants are selected based on their:
- written application and curriculum vitae
- referee reports
- performance at interview.
Depending on the number of applicants, there may also be a short-listing process with only selected applicants proceeding to the interview stage.
Successful applicants who have been appointed to an approved training rotation, will be advised how to complete their application. To finalise applications with the RANZCP, the Application to register form [PDF; 127 KB] must be completed and received by the College Head office.
Unsuccessful applicants will be informed of their rights to request reviews of decisions affecting them and be advised of appeal information. Any request for review and/or any potential appeal in relation to entry to training must occur via the formal RANZCP Appeals Process.
There is no limit to the number of attempts an individual may make to enter the Fellowship Program.
Resources for local/Branch Training Committees
Application documentation may be modified to suit local needs, but must conform to local equal opportunity and privacy legislation. Application forms must also comply with College requirements related to a trainee’s personal declaration.
Specialist international medical graduates
If you already hold a specialist qualification in psychiatry from another country, see the overseas specialists section.