Schizophrenia and related disorders: clinical practice guideline and associated resources
Key practice points
The guidelines advise a clinical staging approach and deliver specific recommendations for:
- comprehensive treatment using second generation antipsychotic agents continuously for 2-5 years
- early treatment of comorbid substance use
- community treatment after initial contact, during crises and after discharge from hospital
- physical health monitoring and management of comorbidities, particularly metabolic health
- interventions to optimise recovery of social function
- management of schizophrenia in specific populations and circumstances.
Early psychosis resources
The following webinars provide information about the guideline and are accredited for CPD under section 4.6. [RANZCP member log-in required].