Support programs – overseas specialists
The College currently offers a range of programs and resources to support Specialist International Medical Graduate (SIMG) candidates.
Recommended assessment preparation workshops
There are a number of free assessment preparation workshops for Australian based SIMGs coming up in 2018.
Details of upcoming events will be added as they become available.
Learnit – online learning from RANZCP
You can access Learnit using your current RANZCP log-in details. Visit Learnit now.
Australian Clinical Practice Skills modules
A new series of four modules designed to help specialist international medical graduates (SIMGs) learn the linguistic and cultural components of psychiatric practice within Australia.
- Module 1: Cultural identities in clinical practice
- Module 2: Clinical communication and empathy
- Module 3: Interviewing and rapport-building techniques
- Module 4: Individualising case formulations and management plans
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=acps
Adaptation to psychiatry in Australia modules
A series of three modules created for specialist international medical graduates (SIMGs) and overseas trained psychiatrists (OTPs) who are moving to Australia.
- Module 1: Understanding the Australian mental health-care system
- Module 2: The work of a psychiatrist in Australia
- Module 3: How to become a psychiatrist in Australia
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=SIMG%20centralised%20resources
Training Program modules
A series of modules designed to teach trainees and supervisors about the requirements of the RANZCP Training Program.
- In Training Assessments (ITAs)
- Observed Clinical Activity (OCAs)
- Psychotherapy Written Case
- Scholarly Project
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=TP
Other on-line resources
Adaptation to Psychiatry in Australia and New Zealand [PDF; 1.2 MB]
SIMG Preparation Workshop
The SIMG (ECE) Preparation Workshop for partially comparable candidates is no longer a requirement since the transition of SIMG candidates to the 2012 Fellowship Program.
The ECE Preparation Workshop was found to be very useful by SIMG candidates in the past so the Education Committee will consider offering a new workshop specific to the assessment requirements of the 2012 Fellowship Program to interested SIMG candidates. Such a workshop could only run if:
- there is an adequate number of SIMG candidates interested in attending the workshop
- SIMG candidates pay a fee to attend these workshops.
Candidates will be informed of future proposed workshops in the SIMG candidate newsletter