Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System
The Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System is a once in a generation opportunity to design a mental health system which meets the needs of people with mental illness, their carers and families and the workforce which supports them.
The Commission is tasked with providing a comprehensive set of recommendations on how to best support Victorians with mental illness, including Victorians at risk of suicide. It will also play a major role in raising public awareness about mental health as an issue.
The Victorian Branch has been active in contributing to the inquiry.
Victorian Branch Submission to the Royal Commission
The Victorian Branch lodged its formal submission to the Royal Commission on Friday 5 July.
The submission urges the Commission to focus the conduct of its inquiry on redesigning the architecture of the mental health system, including its governance, infrastructure and models of care, so that it can provide mental health care to people of all ages and stages of mental illness and improve outcomes for those who use it.
► RANZCP Victorian Branch submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System, July 2019 [PDF; 1.16 MB]
To inform the submission, the Victorian Branch undertook a considered consultation process, which included:
- an online questionnaire
- a facilitated forum with all Victorian Branch members invited;
- consultation with consumer representatives in the College;
- consultation with Faculties and Sections
- consultation with members from other states and jurisdictions to gather best-practice models of care.
Now that a formal submission has been lodged by the College, we are awaiting the interim report from the Commission, which is due in November 2019.
The Commission has concluded its public hearings, which were held from 2 - 26 July 2019.
► View the witness statements and transcripts of the public hearings on the Royal Commission website.
About the Royal Commission
The Commission is led by Penny Armytage as chairperson and supported by commissioners: RANZCP Fellow Dr Alex Cockram, Professor Bernadette McSherry and Professor Allan Fels AO.
RANZCP Fellow Professor Pat McGorry is Chair of the Expert Advisory Committee.
The Commission will provide a final report to the Victorian Government by October 2020. The Victorian Government has already committed to implementing every recommendation from the Royal Commission.
The Royal Commission will gather information from individuals and organisations through:
- community consultations, including:
- community forums for the general public, people living with mental illness, their family members and carers and those with an interest in mental health
- sessions for people living with mental illness, their family members or carers who may prefer to attend a dedicated discussion
- roundtables on local issues
- written submissions by email and post
- submissions through audio recordings, videos
- contributions through online forums, including discussion groups and social media
- stakeholder and expert roundtables
- site visits
- data and documentation provided by key agencies (including government and researchers).
► View the terms of reference
Please contact Victorian Branch Policy and Advocacy Advisor, Adele Beasley at email@example.com
[Appendix 4] Neurodevelopmental disorders and Neuropsychiatry Services - Vic Branch formal submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System, July 2019
[Appendix 3] Faculty of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - Vic branch formal submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System, July 2019
[Appendix 2] Faculty of Forensic Psychiatry - Vic branch formal submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System, July 2019
[Appendix 1] Faculty of Psychotherapy - Vic branch formal submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System, July 2019
Formal submission - Vic Branch submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System, July 2019
Royal Commission into Mental Health (Terms of Reference) Victorian Branch submission to Department of Premier and Cabinet, January 2019
12 April 2019 | 'Report shows stark reality of Victoria’s mental health system': Victorian Chair responds to VAGO Report
25 March 2019 | 'Nothing between GP and emergency': Victoria's mental health failure, The Age