Abstract submissions are invited for the International Network for Philosophy and Psychiatry 20th Annual Conference taking place in Hong Kong from 4 – 6 October 2018.
The theme of this year's conference is:
History, Philosophy and Ethics of Psychiatry: The State of Play in the 21st Century.
Abstract submissions will close at 5pm AEDT on Friday 29 June 2018.
Abstracts will be considered for presentation in one of the following presentation types –
- Symposium - a collection of up to 4 oral presentations. Each presentation must have a separate abstract in addition to the overall symposium abstract; the Scientific Committee may accept an individual paper instead of the whole symposium;
- Oral presentations - a 15-30 minute presentation including time for questions. The Scientific Committee will determine the length of the presentation based on the number of abstracts accepted following the abstract review;
- Poster presentation – a visual display of research projects. There will be dedicated times for delegates to interact with poster authors and ask questions
Abstract submission is a two-step process:
Download the abstract template [MS Word; 15 KB], save it to your desktop and complete it.
- Use the template to present your abstract in the required format. Abstracts not submitted using this template will be returned for correction.
- Abstract text must be in Arial, 12pt size, single-spaced and left aligned.
- Your abstract text should be no more than 250 words, including references.
- Use standard abbreviations only. Within the body of the abstract, when using abbreviations spell out the name in full at the first mention and follow with the abbreviation in parentheses. Abbreviations may be used in the title, provided the name in full is outlined in the body of the abstract.
- Your abstract should clearly and where applicable concisely outline the background, aims/objectives, methods, findings and conclusions.
Delete all text in red once you have completed this template.
Save your abstract in the format: Surname, Forename_abstract as a PDF document and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All abstracts must be prepared according to the guidelines provided. Incomplete or incorrect submissions will be returned to the author and must be re-submitted immediately in the correct format to be considered for inclusion in the program.
- The close of abstracts is 5pm AEDT on Friday 29 June 2018.
- Authors are reminded to ensure client confidentiality is maintained in all material submitted.
If you have any questions, please contact the conference office on +61 3 9640 0646 or email email@example.com.
If you require special permissions or authorizations with regards to your abstract, they must be received prior to submission. Changes after abstract submission will only be made in exceptional circumstances. If critical changes need to be made to your abstract content after it has been submitted, please request those changes by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Scientific Committee will review all abstracts in early July 2018. Authors are required to select one category under which their abstract should be reviewed. Notifications of acceptance are scheduled to be sent in mid-July 2018 and authors will be required to register for the conference by Friday 27 July 2018.
- History and culture
- Values and ethics
- Clinical practice
These themes are general guidelines only and submissions not specifically related to one of these themes will also be considered.
Abstracts should follow the following submission requirements
Presenting author/s first and in bold followed by remaining authors separated by a comma with relevant organisation or affiliation. The corresponding author for the submission should be clearly nominated and will be responsible for all communication in relation to the submitted abstract.
Your abstract text should be no more than 250 words, including references.
References – up to 3 references in APA style.
The committee shall be directed to reject abstracts for the following causes:
- Subject not related to the fields of philosophy and psychiatry
- Does not meet basic submission requirements
Use standard abbreviations only. Within the body of the abstract, when using abbreviations spell out the name in full at the first mention and follow with the abbreviation in parentheses. Abbreviations may be used in the title provided the name in full is outlined in the body of the abstract.
Travel and abstract presenter registration
Please do not submit an abstract unless you are prepared to travel to the conference to present your research in the session allocated by the Scientific Committee. Questions regarding the abstract submission process or about the conference should be emailed to email@example.com. The invitation to present an abstract does not constitute an offer to pay travel, accommodation or registration costs associated with the conference. No presenter fee is paid to successful participants; presenters will be required to register for the conference via the conference website.
Terms & conditions
The Scientific Committee expects that all abstracts selected for presentation will be presented by the original author(s) and that no submitted abstracts will be withdrawn. The Scientific Committee will only accept original work for presentation at the conference. By submitting your abstract you affirm that your abstract is your own; either individually or as part of the group.
Withdrawing a submitted or accepted abstract
If an abstract must be withdrawn for any reason, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. There is no penalty to withdraw your abstract. Please note that all submitted abstracts become the property of RANZCP.