Support programs – overseas specialists
The College currently offers a range of programs and resources to support Specialist International Medical Graduate (SIMG) candidates.
Recommended assessment preparation workshops
There are a number of free assessment preparation workshops for Australian based SIMGs coming up in 2017. The workshops are free to attend, however SIMG candidates are responsible for the costs of travel and accommodation. Please contact workshop organisers for further details about these programs.
Goulburn Valley Health Leadership and Management Workshop - Victorian SIMGs
Dates: Saturday 28 – Sunday 29 October 2017
Venue: Mitcham Private Hospital, VIC
Some of the topics covered will include:
- Introduction to Leadership: Theories and principles of leadership and management; Change management; Clinical Leader vs. Manager.
- Specific issues in leadership roles: (e.g. Consultant Psychiatrist, DCS, Professor, Chief Psychiatrist; Working within a multidisciplinary team): Will focus on people and self-management skills.
- Organizational Change principles with local case vignettes, and workshop of some change management issues.
- Advocacy in Mental Health including discussion about media communication skills.
- Private Practice: Discusses issues in private practice including setting up and running a practice or working within a consulting suites/ hospital.
- Transition in to a Consultant role from a Trainee Role: Issues in role change; role of supervision/ peer review/ mentoring; self-care and impaired practitioner; resources for doctors.
For further details or to register, please contact Dr Raju Lakshmana email@example.com
Illawarra Shoalhaven clinical exam workshop – OSCE upskilling workshop for SIMGs
Dates: Saturday 25 – Sunday 26 November 2017
Venue: Wollongong Hospital, NSW
- Two day upskilling workshop focusing on cultural and linguistic elements of Psychiatry in Australia
For further details or to register, please contact Prof Nagesh Pai firstname.lastname@example.org; or Shae-Leigh Vella email@example.com.
Please note, for these assessment preparation workshops:
- Participants will need to make their own travel and accommodation plans, as this cost is not covered by the workshop.
- The RANZCP, the Committees for Training and Examinations and the Committee for Specialist International Medical Graduate Education (CSIMGE) do not have a role in assessing or accrediting external or non-RANZCP facilitated exam and training workshops.
- The RANZCP expects trainees and SIMGs to undertake a broad approach to exam and workplace-based assessment preparation based on the 2012 Competency-Based Fellowship Program and Syllabus.
The RANZCP has received Australian Government funding under the Specialist Training Program for these events.
Learnit – online learning from RANZCP
You can access Learnit using your current RANZCP log-in details. Visit Learnit now.
Australian Clinical Practice Skills modules
A new series of four modules designed to help specialist international medical graduates (SIMGs) learn the linguistic and cultural components of psychiatric practice within Australia.
- Module 1: Cultural identities in clinical practice
- Module 2: Clinical communication and empathy
- Module 3: Interviewing and rapport-building techniques
- Module 4: Individualising case formulations and management plans
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=acps
Adaptation to psychiatry in Australia modules
A series of three modules created for specialist international medical graduates (SIMGs) and overseas trained psychiatrists (OTPs) who are moving to Australia.
- Module 1: Understanding the Australian mental health-care system
- Module 2: The work of a psychiatrist in Australia
- Module 3: How to become a psychiatrist in Australia
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=SIMG%20centralised%20resources
Training Program modules
A series of modules designed to teach trainees and supervisors about the requirements of the RANZCP Training Program.
- In Training Assessments (ITAs)
- Observed Clinical Activity (OCAs)
- Psychotherapy Written Case
- Scholarly Project
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=TP
Other on-line resources
Adaptation to Psychiatry in Australia and New Zealand [PDF; 1.2 MB]
SIMG Preparation Workshop
The SIMG (ECE) Preparation Workshop for partially comparable candidates is no longer a requirement since the transition of SIMG candidates to the 2012 Fellowship Program.
The ECE Preparation Workshop was found to be very useful by SIMG candidates in the past so the Education Committee will consider offering a new workshop specific to the assessment requirements of the 2012 Fellowship Program to interested SIMG candidates. Such a workshop could only run if:
- there is an adequate number of SIMG candidates interested in attending the workshop
- SIMG candidates pay a fee to attend these workshops.
Candidates will be informed of future proposed workshops in the SIMG candidate newsletter