Support programs – overseas specialists
The College currently offers a range of programs and resources to support Specialist International Medical Graduate (SIMG) candidates.
Recommended assessment preparation workshops
There are a number of free assessment preparation workshops for Australian based SIMGs coming up in 2017. The workshops are free to attend, however SIMG candidates are responsible for the costs of travel and accommodation. Please contact workshop organisers for further details about these programs.
Goulburn Valley Health Leadership and Management Workshop - Victorian SIMGs
Dates: Saturday 28 – Sunday 29 October 2017
Venue: Mitcham Private Hospital, VIC
Some of the topics covered will include:
- Introduction to Leadership: Theories and principles of leadership and management; Change management; Clinical Leader vs. Manager.
- Specific issues in leadership roles: (e.g. Consultant Psychiatrist, DCS, Professor, Chief Psychiatrist; Working within a multidisciplinary team): Will focus on people and self-management skills.
- Organizational Change principles with local case vignettes, and workshop of some change management issues.
- Advocacy in Mental Health including discussion about media communication skills.
- Private Practice: Discusses issues in private practice including setting up and running a practice or working within a consulting suites/ hospital.
- Transition in to a Consultant role from a Trainee Role: Issues in role change; role of supervision/ peer review/ mentoring; self-care and impaired practitioner; resources for doctors.
For further details or to register, please contact Dr Raju Lakshmana firstname.lastname@example.org
Illawarra Shoalhaven clinical exam workshop – OSCE upskilling workshop for SIMGs
Dates: Saturday 25 – Sunday 26 November 2017
Venue: Wollongong Hospital, NSW
- Two day upskilling workshop focusing on cultural and linguistic elements of Psychiatry in Australia
For further details or to register, please contact Prof Nagesh Pai email@example.com; or Shae-Leigh Vella firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, for these assessment preparation workshops:
- Participants will need to make their own travel and accommodation plans, as this cost is not covered by the workshop.
- The RANZCP, the Committees for Training and Examinations and the Committee for Specialist International Medical Graduate Education (CSIMGE) do not have a role in assessing or accrediting external or non-RANZCP facilitated exam and training workshops.
- The RANZCP expects trainees and SIMGs to undertake a broad approach to exam and workplace-based assessment preparation based on the 2012 Competency-Based Fellowship Program and Syllabus.
The RANZCP has received Australian Government funding under the Specialist Training Program for these events.
Formative Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE)
Date: Saturday 9th December 2017
- As part of RANZCP’s commitment to supporting Specialist International Medical Graduate (SIMG) candidates on their pathway to Fellowship, the RANZCP is pleased to offer a Formative OSCE to assist in preparing for the April 2018 OSCE.
- Participants will have the opportunity to practice short and long stations under exam conditions and receive feedback from RANZCP Examiners. The Formative OSCE will be held on Saturday 9 December 2017 in Melbourne.
- Participants travelling from over 100km will receive some travel assistance. Only partial comparability candidates working in Australia will be eligible to apply.
- Places for the workshop are limited and a priority system will be used to allocate places. If required, priority will be given to candidates who are eligible to sit the April 2017 OSCE examination, as well as for candidates who are working in remote or rural areas.
If you would like to apply, please read through the Terms and Conditions below before completing the application below.
Click here to apply
Please note: This workshop is not a practice exam, but rather a skills development session as the workshop has core OSCE content, structure and process aiming to address the essential performance elements of skills such as data synthesis, formulation and management at the standard required for the RANZCP examination.
Further details about the course can be found on the SIMG Support Programs webpage. If you have any questions please email email@example.com or call on 03 9601 4977.
Terms and Conditions [PDF; 186 KB]
The RANZCP has received Australian Government funding under the Specialist Training Program for this event.
Learnit – online learning from RANZCP
You can access Learnit using your current RANZCP log-in details. Visit Learnit now.
Australian Clinical Practice Skills modules
A new series of four modules designed to help specialist international medical graduates (SIMGs) learn the linguistic and cultural components of psychiatric practice within Australia.
- Module 1: Cultural identities in clinical practice
- Module 2: Clinical communication and empathy
- Module 3: Interviewing and rapport-building techniques
- Module 4: Individualising case formulations and management plans
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=acps
Adaptation to psychiatry in Australia modules
A series of three modules created for specialist international medical graduates (SIMGs) and overseas trained psychiatrists (OTPs) who are moving to Australia.
- Module 1: Understanding the Australian mental health-care system
- Module 2: The work of a psychiatrist in Australia
- Module 3: How to become a psychiatrist in Australia
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=SIMG%20centralised%20resources
Training Program modules
A series of modules designed to teach trainees and supervisors about the requirements of the RANZCP Training Program.
- In Training Assessments (ITAs)
- Observed Clinical Activity (OCAs)
- Psychotherapy Written Case
- Scholarly Project
The direct link to these modules is: https://learnit.ranzcp.org/User/Course/Search?query=TP
Other on-line resources
Adaptation to Psychiatry in Australia and New Zealand [PDF; 1.2 MB]
SIMG Preparation Workshop
The SIMG (ECE) Preparation Workshop for partially comparable candidates is no longer a requirement since the transition of SIMG candidates to the 2012 Fellowship Program.
The ECE Preparation Workshop was found to be very useful by SIMG candidates in the past so the Education Committee will consider offering a new workshop specific to the assessment requirements of the 2012 Fellowship Program to interested SIMG candidates. Such a workshop could only run if:
- there is an adequate number of SIMG candidates interested in attending the workshop
- SIMG candidates pay a fee to attend these workshops.
Candidates will be informed of future proposed workshops in the SIMG candidate newsletter